Three pepper spicy hummus recipe
- 1 – 15.5 oz or 16 oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- ¼ cup reserved liquid from can of chickpeas (set aside separately)
- juice of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 Tbps extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- Garnish options include a drizzle of olive oil, whole chickpeas, parsley, paprika and red pepper flakes (optional) and serve with pita chips, pita bread or vegetables.
- Drain chickpeas and set aside liquid from can along with a few chickpeas for garnish.
- Combine all ingredients in the food processor (except the reserved chickpea liquid). Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute (blend longer for more creamy texture). Use the reserved chickpea liquid to add to the hummus and blend more if you feel you want a creamier texture.
- Place in serving bowl.
- Garnish ideas: chickpeas, paprika, parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve immediately with fresh, warm pita bread, veggies or cover and refrigerate.
You can refrigerate the hummus in a covered container for up to a week. I believe that the key to a good hummus is taking a few tastes while making it. Blend the ingredients for 30 seconds, use the pita to taste a little bit and adjust to your tastes. If you want it to be a little creamier add a little of the reserved liquid and blend for another 30 seconds and so on. You can also adjust the spice according to your taste